Thursday, March 8, 2007

Intro to Kettlebell Class - Core Training

Yesterday I did an into to kettlebell training class at a local high school for a friend who is a teacher there. It was nice to show some of the kids something new that I think will help them round out their training for the various sports they play. There were kids from football, lacrosse, basketball and wrestling in attendance. They seemed to really enjoy the different effect that the minimal kettlebell lifting they experienced had on them. They said they thought it would be a big hit with the different teams going forward as an additional training modality. I was thinking that I wish I had kettlebells when I was in high school. It is like having a secret weapon that might give you an edge against other teams during the actual games.

Today I decided to focus on some core work. I have been doing a lot of high volume snatches and clean & presses and do not want to neglect my core work.

My training consisted of:

4 sets of 5 Windmills - 24kg bell - (20 reps each side)
4 sets of 5 Superplanks - Bodyweight - (20 reps)
2 sets of 5 Get Up Sit-Ups - 20kg bells - (10 reps each side)
2 sets of 5 Get Up Sit-Ups - 16kg bells - (10 reps each side)
4 sets of 5 Hanging Pikes - (20 reps)

1 comment:

Marko Suomi said...

Hi there!

Nice session!

I just wanted to ask what is a Superplank?