Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Perfect Rep...


"I've heard that Arnold Schwartzenegger once said that one rep, perfectly performed, is more valuable than 10 reps performed without thought. Or something like that. It may be lore for all I know, but it doesn't really matter.

Did he mean that I should do one perfect rep and call it quits if I'm not going to stay focused? Maybe he meant something really straightforward like that, but I think there could be more to it. I think he meant that even if there are 100 to do, all I have to do right now is one perfect rep. Then another. Then another. Perfecting this rep. Until I'm done. So much of the time I make the last rep the only one that counts, and then I don't remember anything that came before it". - 
CrossFit LA




This hit home with me. As I try to get closer to my goal of a 200# snatch and 250# clean I realize that perfecting my movements will be crucial in taking the next step. Technique and consistency are the keys to taking then next step. 

Mark Reifkind put it best - "And in those simple beautiful movements I remembered what was really important in training; that consistency trumps intensity; all the time. That intensity is born from consistency. That one cannot force it, one has to lay in wait for it, patiently, instinctively, calmly and be ready to grab it when Grace lays it down in front of you."

No comments: