Monday, April 30, 2007

'Affirmations of Weakness'

Attached is some great info from David Whiltey, RKC from Nashville, TN. I agree with most of these and thought they would be great for my blog. I have included a link to David's site.

"I have a list of things that make me cringe every time I hear them. I call them 'Affirmations of Weakness'. Most of them are things that I have said to myself through much of my life before I became aware of the fact that the only thing I (we) have complete control over is our own thoughts. This isn't to say we (I) always exercise this control, but it is there if the thinker chooses to use it.

Here is a partial list and what they really mean:

1. 'I can't help it, that's just the way I am.'
This is usually a justification for some stupid or weak behavior that is really just a lack of accountabilty or self respect. What it really means: 'I know that I shouldn't be/act/feel the way I do, but I don't want to change because changing is too hard or too scary for me to even consider.'*This does not apply if it frames a positive statement like 'I train hard, eat right and save my money. I don't cheat on my wife. I can't help it, that's just the way I am.'

2. 'I wish I was that lucky'
Usually a response to the achievement of something great through hard work, dedication and intelligent planning by another person, or a simple gift from God. Luck = preparation + opportunity. If you are lacking in luck, look to your preparation.What it really means: 'I regret the fact that I don't have the faith or discipline to achieve the things that other people do.'

3. 'I'm doing the best I can'
Not to be confused with 'I gave it everthing I have', this is one of the greatest lines of self-perjury in existence. If you tell yourself you are doing the best you can, maybe you'll believe it and won't feel such a sting later when you regret the fact that you didn't.What it really means: 'I am willing to go outside my comfort zone and I am making a conscious decision to remain weak, fat, broke and miserable.'

There are lots more. In fact, if you hear or think of one, send it to me. On a related note: I ran across this new article by Gym Jones mastermind Mark Twight and believe it is required reading for anyone who seeks self-improvement.Read it here: http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=36

Dave's site address is: http://irontamer.homestead.com/programdesign.html

No comments: