Sunday, April 19, 2015

2015 Marathon Row...

For the second consecutive year - I will be rowing a marathon (42,195M) on Marathon Monday in Boston to honor the 2013 bombing victims. It is my own private hero wod. I plan on doing three burpees every 1,000m rowed to add a little more to an already daunting task. It should take me between 4.5 and 5 hours to complete.
After the 2013 marathon bombing I posted the following on my Facebook page. After attempting to get a number to run the 2014 Boston Marathon with no luck - I decided that I would row the 26.2 instead as my way to honor the victims. 42,195 meters. It happened Monday April 21, 2014.
April 15, 2013 · "One final thought. I ran my only marathon in 1998. The Boston Marathon. Same year I got married and that my oldest son was born. It was a once in a lifetime thing. Until today.
I am still trying to deal with the fact that my niece and nephew were only feet away from the explosion today (waiting for their parents to finish). My sister said they "saw the whole thing". Can't imagine how poorly they will sleep tonight and the coming nights when I am so screwed up over this.... And I wasn't even there.
So next year I do something I said I would never do. I run Boston. For them, for all the victims and to say "Fuck You" to the scum that did this today.
I HATE to run but I am going to cherish every single step. Boston - 2014".
I believe that events like these give us time to think about what is really important, appreciate what we have and honor those who have passed. Never forget.


No comments: