Tuesday, October 9, 2007

High Volume...

Today I repeated the exercises that I did last Friday with the heavier bells for triples but instead dropped the weight and did higher reps - between 8 and 15 per exercise. I find that after you complete the exercise with the heavy weight for low reps it is physiologically easier to drop the weight a bit and increase the reps because you have built a base of confidence that you can handle the work.

My training looked like this:

Swiss Ball Incline Chest Press - 24kg bells - 3 sets of 15 - 45 reps
Iron Cross - 20kg bell - 3 sets of 8 - 24 reps
Renegade Rows - 24kg bells - 3 sets of 8 - 24 reps
Double Cleans - 24kg bells - 3 sets of 8 - 24 reps
Double Suitcase DL's - 32kg bells - 3 sets of 8 - 24 reps

I added up the weight I lifted in terms of pounds and on the "Heavy Triples" day. I lifted a total of 6072lbs of weight. Not much but tough because there was a lot of double 40kg work - lifting 176lbs for reps at a body weight of 170.

Today because I lowered the weight I got more reps - the total was 15311 lbs. Almost a three fold increase. I love the idea of cycling the intensity to give your body a "rest" and keep it guessing.

No comments: