Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Trial By Fire" - First Attempt - 15lb Clubbells...

I completed the "Trila by Fire" this morning with the 15lb clubbells in 35:18. It was very tough as my grip started to give way half-way though the workout! I can only compare it to how my hands/grip feels at the end of Viking Warrior Conditioning with a 16kg bell (80 Sets of 8). My heart rate was through the roof at about 5 minutes and stayed there the whole time. It is going to take me some time to work up to the 25lb clubs. I plan on taking tomorrow OFF as my hands and forearms will need it.

The following is taken from Coach Steer's blog about clubbells:

"The Trial by Fire is quite simply one of the most grueling full body tests of strength-endurance that I can think of".

The official Trial by Fire is done with a set of 25 lbs Clubbells®, and consists of:

130 One-handed Mills on each side
130 Double Swipes and
130 Two-handed Hammer Swings (65 per direction)



The exercises themselves are presented on the following link in the middle of the page:



"Suffice it to say that the Trial by Fire will rip the skin off your hands and wring every last ounce of muscular strength-endurance from your entire body while it taxes your cardio-vascular system to its limit. It will test your mental toughness and require absolute technical efficiency".
 
I would agree with the above statement 100%!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job with the 15lb
Dont know how someone could do 130 mills with a 25lb to much wieght and torqe on the elbows . I can see 30-50 but 130 darn must be a animal. I am a big guy and 25lb mills tear my elbows up for a week . Dont seem healthy to me on the joints . I will not even try .
David S

Rob O'Brien said...

Thanks! I agree 25 is heavy but I want to work up to it eventually. At 160lbs it would be a good feat.