Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Genesis Of "Murph" - Crossfit WOD

"Murph" is one of the hardest workout I have ever endured. It is a brutal combination of running, pull-ups, push-ups, squats and more running. I have been training with kettlebells for over 6 years and have done 800 snatches in 50 minutes with the 16kg bell but was still not prepared for the heart racing bedlam that was about to occur. 

The timed workout looks like this:

1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

and you are only racing yourself.

Note: The only rule for the above is that the 1-mile runs need to be done at the start and finish. But as for the pull-ups, push-ups and squats, you can break them up any way you want. The only thing that matters is that you complete them all before starting out on that last mile.

Three weeks ago I had my first go at Murph and he kicked my ass! It took me damn near 49 minutes to complete. Yesterday was my second attempt and he kicked my ass again — but at least I was able to complete in 40:50. I have never felt more wiped out at the end of a workout but took a full 8 minutes off my initial time. FYI,  the original  “Murph Challenge” calls for wearing a 20-pound vest to emulate body armour as worn by those that protect us

Below is the info for "Murph" that is posted on the Crossfit Main Website:

For time. Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it. 

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. 

This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it 'Body Armor.' From here on it will be referred to as 'Murph' in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is. 






No comments: