Saturday, November 28, 2009

1,000 Swings!

I decided to so dome swings today to get back to basics while trying to get my heart rate going. I know that Viking Warrior Conditioning is really meant for the snatch but I figured if I could swing for 50 minutes and 1000 reps - I would be wiped out.

My training looked like this:

I did timed two-handed swings with the 24kg bell and 20kg bell today.  I did 100 sets of 10 in 49 minutes and 45 seconds. I dropped from the 24kg bell to the 20kg bell after 200 reps because I knew my grip would go very early at that weight. I did sets of 10 with approximately 15 second rest between round.
Swings - 24kg bell - 20 sets of 10 - 200 reps - 10,560 lbs
Swings - 20kg bell - 80 sets of 10 - 800 reps - 35,200 lbs

45,760 lbs total.

My grip is fried! I had trouble opening my water bottle when I was done.

7 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

nice work Rob but I have to tell you that Tracy has done the same workout 100 sets of 10 with 15 sec between work bouts ALL WITH THE 24 kg,lol!
She was inspired to do it by Britt Buckingham.
she's done the workout twice. crazy shit.

Rob O'Brien said...

Killing me Mark...Now I have to man up and get it done! Tell her congrats!

Mark Reifkind said...

dude at aleast you attempted it! I wouldnt even try. I know better, lol.
really though, my back can't handle two hands swings still. I wonder what would be the one arm equivilant?
I'll ask the swing queen.

Mark Reifkind said...

tracy says that if you had switched to transfers she thinks you could have finished the whole thing with the 24 kg. I might have to think about doing it with one arms and transfers.
I guess that would require me to start training my swing again,lol.

Rob O'Brien said...

Tell Tracy I said thanks. I am going to try them both ways but I probably should get to 50k in snatches first. That's one of my problems .... trying to much at once! lol.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree - nice work!!

Trying to much at once - I think that's a problem the most kettlebell- /clubbell-/bodyweigh- and ringtraining bastards know about.

So many things to do - and so little time.

Some day I'll also have to try to do 1000 swings with the 24kg. The most swings I've done is 600 reps, and thats some time ago.

Rob O'Brien said...

Thanks Mike!

I will try it again soon and try to work it in with snatches, clubbells, xvest training, etc!

Rob