Friday, November 13, 2009

Viking Warrior Conditioning - Submaximal Vo2max - 20 sets of 9...


Today I stepped up my Vo2max training and added another rep to the 15:15 protocol to make it 9 every 15 seconds. This adds 12.5% more work in the same amount of time and takes me to 112.5% of Vo2max.

Check out the book from Kenneth Jay - Master RKC - Viking Warrior Conditioning - The Scientific Approach to Forging a Heart of Elastic Steel: An Application of The Theory Behind Proper VO2max

My training looked like this:
I did timed snatches with the 16kg bell today. I did sets of 9 with each arm with approximately 15 second rest between hand switch. I did 20 sets of 9 in 9 minutes and 45 seconds.

Snatch - 16kg bell - 30 sets of 9 - 180 reps

I finished with:
 
Hanging Leg Raises - 25 reps

2 comments:

30 to 47 said...

rob

with your hanging leg raise

do you do 25 straight?

do you put toes to your hands ?

with your VWC, are striving to get 80 sets of 9 reps with the 16 before you move onto the 20kg bell?

keep up the great blog!

jon

Rob O'Brien said...

Jon,

Yesterday I did sets of 5 in the HLR. I just brought my feet parallel to the ground but do perform pikes (toes to hands) on occasion.

I am going to complete as many sets in the 15:15 as I can and then move to the 36:36 again. I find doing the 15:15 with the 20kg bell is more of a strength workout for me as I can not get more than 6 reps per 15 seconds for a sustained period of time.

Thanks,
Rob