Friday, April 6, 2007

"Freestyle" EDT

I decided to mix things up today and do some cardio, leg and core training EDT style.

First I did the StairMaster for 20 minutes. My goal was 100 flights of stairs in 20 minutes. I ended up completing 99 in 20 minutes and felt pretty good about the results since I have not done the StairMaster in over 2 years. I burned 244 calories and worked up a good sweat. Also my legs were shaking after the leg training I have been doing so it was nice to get the blood flowing. I am going to try to increase the number of floors I do in 20 minutes in the coming training sessions with an eventual goal of 125 flights.

After the stairs I cooled down for 3 minutes and did 10 minutes alternating between Dragon Walks and Hanging Leg Raises. For those who have asked I am trying to get a good description of Dragon Walks for you. I got the exercise from page 292 of Beyond Bodybuilding; the article describes - "How to develop cut and muscular legs with the Dragon Walk".

The second PR lasted 10 minutes and consisted of:
Dragon Walks - 5 sets of 10 steps each leg - 50 total steps
Hanging Leg Raises - 5 sets of 8 reps - 40 total reps

This training session was great in that I trained my legs and core while getting a great cardio workout and breaking a good sweat. I have always favored upper body training but because I am working around my back/arm injury I think I will be better of in the long run. It has allowed me to focus on legs and exercises and training I might not otherwise work into my routine.

No comments: