Thursday, April 19, 2007

Physical Therapy & Manual Labor

I had my second PT session this morning and was feeling better after it. My trap is a knot of muscles and the therapist tried to manually get the knot worked out. After about 10 minutes of his elbow in my back I did some exercises on a foam roller and then had 10 minutes of EMS to stimulate the muscles. I planned on training legs and some cardio today but had another issue to deal with...

I had about 6 inches of water in my basement Monday after the Nor' Easter that hit Massachusetts. We have a french drain and a sump pump but the pump malfunctioned and I did not discover the problem till it was too late.

We fixed the pump and began drying out the basement (finished) while hoping we could salvage the rug.

This morning my wife and I decided that the rug was too far gone and beginning to smell up the whole basement. So I had to cut the rig into 3 big & heavy sections and carry/pull them up the stairs of my bulkhead and then pick them up and throw them in the dumpster I had dropped in my driveway.

The gym was out after this event as I felt like my heart rate was over the max. So...I guess I got the cardio/leg workout I was aiming for just in a different way than I anticipated. I can't imaging trying to move the rug if I was not in shape.

The only problem is I think I overused my right arm.....hopefully it does not regress from the improvement I have seen this week.

I am planning one last training session tomorrow before I head to Ohio for the American Kettlebell Certification Class on Saturday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the trip to Ohio and the AKC...the weather should be nice

Rob O'Brien said...

Thanks....looking forward to it. Hope you enjoy the blog.

Royce said...

Man wet carpeting ways a TON. And it just folds and flops all over the place. Talk about functional strength training. I do not envy you with that job.

Mark Reifkind said...

sorry about the flood, I hate water damage. and there ain't nothing will make you stronger and tougher than real work like that.have fun at your cert/

Mark Reifkind said...

just realized you overextendted your arm a bit. I would wait on the workout til the cert,jmo.

Rob O'Brien said...

Thanks Royce and Mark. I am in Ohio and the cert is this morning. I slept a lot better than lately laspt night. Maybe because the Red Sox made Arod's 2 home runs seem futile. I will post my feedaback tomorrow.

Cheers,
Rob