Monday, November 15, 2010

"When is the last time you took a FULL week off"?

"When is the last time you took a FULL week off? By a full week, I mean seven full days of NO training or anything even remotely related to working out. If it's been more than 6 months, or you can't remember the last time, then guess what... it's time! It's only during your time off that your body gets a chance to rest, recuperate, repair, and rejuvenate so that it's ready for the next time you go into battle"

 Other telltale signs that you need time off:
  • You've plateaued in your performance
  • You've been sick more than two times this year
  • You keep getting injured
  • You have a hard time sleeping more than 4-5 hrs and you're exhausted.
These are some... what are some others you might have noticed... and when are YOU going to be taking some time off? - http://www.crossfitla.com/cms/index.php/home/taking_time_off// 5/27/09



The above paragraph hit home with me. I have not taken more than 2 days in a row off in ....I don't know how long. The thing I do know is that I have plateaued in performance lately AND have had a hard time getting more than 4-5 hours of sleep lately.  Also, I have been waking up exhausted!

It seems to me that most of us have no problem tweaking our diet or changing our workout but taking time off is the last thing we would ever consider. It does seem counter-intuitive to me but I know it is what my body needs. So that is what I am going to do.

"When is the last time you took a FULL week off"?

2 comments:

crod said...

I'm with you pal. I've been straight out with wods and shoveling since December. Heading south for a great long vacation, so this is when I will take full advantage to simply RELAX and RECOVER. Sorry I missed working out with you this past Saturday. Let's try to get one in soon! Take care - Christian

Rob O'Brien said...

Same here! Day off today. I feel wrecked by all the WODs lately and trying to remover Ice Dams from the roof yesterday. Enjoy your vacation and hopefully I see you soon.

Rob