Friday, May 18, 2007

EDT - Upper Body

I have had to adjust my training to train around my disk injury while still trying to make progress even if it is incremental. I have found that using body weight exercises in an modified manner has allowed me to train while minimizing my discomfort.

I found a good way to use the smith machine to allow me to do pull ups and push ups without putting too much pressure on my neck. I have been doing "Horizontal Pull ups" where I put my feet on a Swiss ball and lay horizontal while using the smith machine bar to do a pull up while trying to keep your body as flat as possible during the exercise. You can vary the exercise by doing a chin up in the same manner.

Push ups and chest/tri training have been my main problem because the nerve that is damaged runs down my right triceps and makes it virtually impossible for me to doing any chest/tri work with my right side where I am in the flat or prone position. I have found that if I vary the angle slightly and press at an incline I can complete the exercise. So I have been doing push ups on the smith machine bar with it set on the lowest pin. The 12 - 14 inch angle gives me enough relief to be able to complete the reps and provides a totally different feel that regular push ups. Again I try to vary the exercise by reversing my grips where I am using more biceps as the ancillary muscle involved.

My training looked like this today:

First PR - 15 minutes
Horizontal Pull ups - 45 reps & Horizontal Chins - 15 reps - 60 total reps
Incline Push ups - 45 reps & Incline Reverse Push ups - 15 reps - 60 total reps

3 Minute Rest

Second PR - 10 Minutes
Iron Kettlebell Cross - 12kg bell - 35 reps
Drag Curls - 45lb barbell - 35 total reps

No comments: