Monday, May 7, 2007

Light Kettlebell CIrcuit Training & AKC Review

Today I did some light and short kettlebell circuit training along the lines of "Providence".

I have another PT session today and am feeling better but plan on continuing it until my strength is back to 100%. I am also waiting to hear on my MRI appointment. Aetna is dragging their feet on the approval. I thought I was paying insurance premiums for a reason but I do not want to turn this into a rant!


I have been lazy in posting my review of the Amercian Kettlebell Certification but will now summarize my thoughts.

I thought it was very informative. It focused mainly on training for GS events but brought along alot of practical applications that I can use in my training. The focus was on the one arm jerk, the long cycle jerk, and the snatch. The three exercises are the staple of a GS event and I believe it is important to get proper instruction if competing is one of you main goals. One of the reasons I went was because I am interested in competing in GS as ONE of my motivations for training. I also want to have the knowledge to pass along to clients that I may train in the future who want to compete in GS and increase their numbers.

But I also do agree that there can be two styles of kettlebell lifting. GS aims for efficiency in the lifts for better results where I believe the RKC style if better suited for strength and size results because efficiency is not the main goal but the intensity of the training. I think that the RKC style better suits my personality and main goal for training. I am aiming for a strong as I look body as a priority while "the numbers" are secondary.

I would like to get to about 175lbs while maintaining a body fat level of about 8%. Neither of these things have much relevance to GS training. I also enjoy the multitude of KB lift available to me on a daily basis and enjoy mixing up my training very often. This is the main thing that attracted my to kettlebell lifting in the first place and is why I love it so much.

I hope in the future that all the different camps of kettlebell training can come together to unite so our "sport" can be broadcast to the world as the best tool for strength & conditioning available!

3 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks for the review Rob, been waiting to see one of those.I like the way you describe the differences of the two systems.

if you like variety then kbs definitely offer a worldwind of variety for everyone.thanks again and good luck with your mri.

oh yeah, the reason you are paying premiums is to make the insurance company rich, doesnt everyone know that? LOL.Good luck man.

Rob O'Brien said...

You are welcome Rif. I love kb lifting for many reasons but see no need to limit myself to one "style".

Anonymous said...

In fitness there are profiteers and bandwagoneers. Always have been and always will be. I am with you and see the benefits of both. It all depends of what we prefer as individuals.