Monday, March 19, 2007

Training for June 2007 RKC

Now that I have completed the GS Event I am training for the June 2007 RKC. To get certified I believe I have to do 58 snatches with the 24kg bell with one hand switch. I just did 70 reps on Saturday so I should be fine but I want to keep moving in the right direction. A great quote from Mark Reifkind's Blog - Strength is a Choice - is "you are either getting stronger or weaker, there is no maintenance". This is so true. That is why it is great to have an event to train towards. My goal is 85 snatch reps with the 24kg bells which would be a 20% increase over my current PR of 70. A challenge but certainly attainable with the correct training.

I plan on switching up my training to incorporate some sets of snatches with one arm before I start training the other. Lorraine Patten, RKC has a great article on Dragon Door entitled - Navigating Girevoy Sport Training - in which she stated that one must train for strength and volume. This is my focus for the next few months as I head toward RKC status

2 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

Rob,

looking forwards to meeting you and working with you at the June Cert. Those things are great fun!

Congrats on your snatch pr and getting on the platform and giving your all. GS is one tough sport and just competing in it says a lot about you.

ANd as to my quote I still beleive that; 'maintenance'is just giving up- there is always SOMETHING that one can make better.

you will cruise the rkc snatch test, just make sure you get a lot of field drills in your training and mix things up a lot. we go back and forth many times at the cert( drilling on swings, snatches clean and press, squat ,etc,then onto a flexibility drill section, then to a 'smoker" workout then start over!

but just for three days straight! LOL!

take care and looking forward to reading your blog as well.

rif

Rob O'Brien said...

Rif,

Thanks for the heads up on the RKC! I will keep my training mixed up so that I am getting stronger! Enjoy the bolg. I try to keep it informative for people who want to try some of the stuff I do. Your blog motivates me. Hopefully mine does the same for other people.

Best, Rob