Thursday, July 16, 2009

"Return of the Kettlebell" - Questions And Answers....

Below is a few questions I recently received on my ROTK training. I thought they were good ones and decided to post them for good feedback for anyone considering trying this training method.

Questions:

Rob,

First off...very impressed with you snatching two 32kg KBs before your presses! How do you feel about the "off-set" weight snatches prior to pressing? I just read ROTK and plan on starting but feel a bit concerned on the torque placed on the low back with a 32 and 16kg bell being snatched and the possibility of rotation that can be placed upon the core?

Answers:

Thanks Rick. It is a commitment and a bit scary sometimes. My form is pretty good but not perfect. I am decreasing the time right now and feeling stronger but it will be interesting as I add some more volume. I do not know how far I can go at 165lbs. I have gained strength and added muscle while leaning out at the same time. I do would like to gain about 10 more pounds but at 5 ft 8 in I look stupid over 175lbs.

The offset weight snatches actually feel pretty good if you concentrate on bringing the bells up evenly. Switching back and forth the bells evens out the load and there does not seem to be a problem with back instability. Plus, it seems to make doing double snatches with an even load (even the 32’s) seem easier because you do not have to think about the weight differential and manually controlling the speed of the bells to even out.

The cleans and jerks make the snatch, press, squat and deadlift block feel like a breeze!

1 comment:

Rick said...

I am looking forward to the LCCJ series...I will probably eat those words or worse.. leave the on the floor. Thanks for the feedback!